Life as a caregiver for a ill or injuried family member provides both rewards and challenges. A few of the positive aspects of caregiving include knowing a family member receives good care and the opportunity to experience personal growth. Despite the positive aspects, caregiving can take a toll on a person's physical and emotional wellbeing. The Caregiver Briefcase, created by the APA taskforce, acknowledges both the positive and negative sides of caregiving and provides healthcare workers a useful resource to help caregivers cope. Information included in the Caregiver Briefcase includes:
- How caregiving affects all of us.
- Facts about family caregiving.
- Common caregiving problems.
- How to identify and reach caregivers.
- Roles psychologists have in working with family caregivers.
- Assessment tools and effective interventions.
- Conducting caregiver research.
- Educating and teaching about caregiving.
- Advocating for family caregivers.
- Resources for diverse populations and age groups.
How do your patients' caregivers cope with their role?